English for Work – A Free Job Preparation Program
English for Work is a free, three-month long program for immigrants and refugees to improve their English language skills and prepare for employment in the United States. Students learn about topics such as skills and strengths, job search, resumes, and interviewing while practicing speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
Students attend classes, receive one-on-one career advising, and complete online assignments. Near the end of the program, students participate in practice interviews with local employers—a highlight of the program!
Classes are currently held via Zoom on Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 p.m. with optional in-person learning opportunities offered at Hopelink’s Redmond and Shoreline Centers to supplement online classes. Classes are best for students who have intermediate and advanced level English. We assess students to determine their level and help decide if English for Work is a good fit.
- Learn about resumes, searching for a job, and interviewing
- Attend classes on Zoom; Hopelink computers available to borrow if needed
- Receive one-on-one career advising
- Participate in practice job interviews with local employers
- Complete the program within three months. Morning and evening class options are available
To enroll in English for Work students must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Plan to get a job in the U.S. or enroll in job training/college to prepare to get a job (within the next 6 months)
- not have a B-1, B-2, F-1, J-1, or M-1 visa
- live in north and east King County (for example, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Shoreline) or in the city of Seattle. Newly arrived refugees living in surrounding areas are welcome to apply for the program.
We’re happy to help! If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact us. If English for Work is not a good fit for you right now, please ask us for recommendations for other programs in the community.
What students say about English for Work:
“English for Work class is a valuable learning experience in my life. What I learned from the teachers and classmates will benefit my entire career journey. I really like all the teachers of Hopelink. They help me enrich my vocabulary, teach me how to write a resume, and give knowledge about how to prepare for the job interview.”
“I like the homework assignments very much because each assignment helps me to improve English.”
“I like this class very much. It gave me many new ideas about my career goals. At the beginning of this class, I was so confused about my future, but now I found the career I really want and have a clearer plan.”